thirtysomething, the meme
Posted by Roberta Lipp on November 14, 2010
modified from something I posted last night in facebook
(or, Thirty Things About Me)
1. I well up with tears frequently, but really cry almost never. Unless prompted by a TV show, film or song. Then it’s a water main break.
2. I got very upset in the moments leading up to my peacock tattoo–like, scared, like, very very young, like, I don’t wanna be a girl with a big tattoo on her arm. It took about a week for that to fully dissipate.
3. I take way too much Advil–for headaches, for muscle pain. Several pills most days.
4. These, the kind where you’re not answering questions, are especially difficult for me to do because I’m so out there–I tell everyone everything.
5. When it comes to alcohol, I am a crazy lightweight.
6. I adore show tunes, American popular standards, jazz–and I’m woefully unwell versed in all.
7. I’m a songwriter, though I haven’t written in years. One of my songs, “Stowaway’s Compromise”, is featured in the opening and closing credits of a really, really independent film that I haven’t seen–the previews look too awful.
8. My first love was a girl–some of my high school friends will know this, but most won’t. She broke my heart.
9. AND YET, and this despite the fact I went on to date other women and even live with one, I have been utterly and undeniably diagnosed as a STRAIGHT GIRL. And this from a gay man. And he would know better than anyone.
10. I believe in soul mates–or something. But not the kind where there is one person for one person. I don’t know that the nature or source of these intense, bigger-than-us connections is always the same, but I know there are many great loves in many great forms.
11. And so on that topic, I am currently in a most indescribable friendship/relationship with Bert, the aforementioned gay man. Soul mate or bashert or whatever it is, we were meant to be in each others lives and love each other and take each other through a bunch of stuff, and we are doing just that. I love him stupid and I love him smart and I love him without apology.
12. And so on that topic, I have always had, throughout the course of my life, spectacular and intense and indescribably unique platonic relationships, with elevated status compared to what most people would expect of a platonic relationship.
13. I didn’t graduate from college.
14. I played Magenta for a few years in the 8th Street Playhouse floor show of Rocky Horror, starting when I was still in high school.
15. And I was a backup singer at the 10th (that’s right 10th, what of it?!) anniversary of the film–at the Beacon Theater. There were four of us, backing up Richard O’Brien and much of the film’s cast, including Meat Loaf.
16. I was an on-air radio jock for a couple years–played Alice’s Restaurant on Thanksgiving day.
17. I love makeup. I could buy new makeup every day.
18. I feel naked without earrings. If I forget to wear earrings, I usually run and buy some.
19. I hate scented candles. Hate. But I love incense. Though I’m picky about my incense–usually I like the very smokey kind.
20. I was obsessed with the film”Pretty in Pink” for a very long time. I died a lot of clothes pink. I just thought it was the greatest thing ever. I’d still marry Andrew McCarthy right outta that film.
21. I have an idea of what I want to be when I grow up, and this ain’t it. Stay tuned.
22. Roller coasters scare the piss outta me. Not literally. But I’ve only managed to go on a few, and even fewer without crying.
23. I’ve been single for most of my life. I don’t intend to stay that way.
24. I am intensely introspective, and always try to look at myself with a goal of telling the truth, at least to me, about who I am and what I’m doing. I’m always striving to be more authentic, more loving, just a better person in general. I don’t always hit it right, but I’m deeply committed to it–I have at least since my early 20s, maybe before. I don’t believe this kind of work ever stops.
25. I watch Say Yes to the Dress. There, I said it.
26. I’m a lot girlier than I ever realized when I was a kid. The only thing that keeps me from knocking it out of the park is that my feet are terrifically wide, so I have a hella time finding shoes that fit, so I wear a lot of Birkenstock’s, ergo less skirts and dresses because of how bad that looks. If it weren’t for my feet, I’d dress way. way. girlier.
27. I had a gastric bypass nearly seven years ago. So weird. I had my boobs and arms done a year later–March 17th, erin-go-braless.
28. There was a cocaine/rehab chapter a long time ago.
29. My vocal cord was sick, and now I’m afraid to sing. But I want to sing more than almost anything else–for the whole world. My voice is beautiful.
30. I will never forgive the Hostess/Drake’s merge. I will never not mourn the loss of the real Ring Ding.